Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Inspiration or menopause?

I'm sitting here at the computer jotting down some ideas that have come to me, once again, in the wee hours of the morning. Is this really my artist's inspiration or just a hot flash waking me from some sort of weird dream? I have been carrying around a hand-dyed piece for several months now, trying to figure out what to do with it. Elements in this piece, which I will post a picture of later, give viewers an eerie feeling. Eyes and faces appeared in the folds of this fabric when I hand-dyed it. It has several "horse heads" in a row, a hooded man, a sad set of simply eyes, and various other "faces" floating around it. To add to the unsettling feeling of this piece, it is done in dark reds, yellows, and white. This morning about 4:00 am, I woke with a feeling of realization and a vivid mental picture of this particular piece of fabric, finished! One problem that I had with this piece initially was the two-sidedness of it. Most of the eyes and faces were on one side of the piece but the most interesting eyes were on the "back". Wouldn't you know it? Well, after what was either a hot flash during the night or true artistic inspiration, I am now motivated again to finish this piece into one of the very few abstract pieces in my work.

No comments: